Mary Allison Yourchisin
The mission and vision of the Young AFCEAN's within the Pelican chapter is to improve the overall operation efficiency and effectiveness of the Young AFCEAN Program and to create more awareness of the program. In this effort as a team, we see the opportunity to create a strong differential between Young AFCEANs and other AFCEA members (in good context), to increase not only the quantity but the quality of prospective Young AFCEAN leaders and be a mentor to rising Young AFCEANs.
The value of being a Young AFCEAN as an industry person or active duty member isn't much different. There is much to gain! It's an exciting opportunity and as a chapter, YA's are strongly encouraged to take advantage of AFCEA for the following reasons:
- Networking and mentorship through events and meetings.
- The activities YA do (professional development, scholarship/education programs, community service/projects, recruiting/social activities) all provide great opportunities for networking (be it industry to industry, MIL to MIL or MIL to industry). Please note committee chairpersons contact information on Young AFCEAN page.
- The atmosphere at the various AFCEAN functions, allows Young AFCEANs another forum to interface/do relationship building with diverse business professionals outside of "official business." For young military folks, the opportunity to interface with senior military personnel in a non-official atmosphere is huge.
- For YAs that are not sure the military is a long-term career path, AFCEA gives them a great networking tool to help explore other opportunities/directions outside of their Chain of Command. (AFCEA does NOT want to be perceived as a recruitment tool away from the military).
- Being a YA enables one to being connected. The ability to connect with others in the same field, connect with the efforts of those outside of their field as well as provide a chance to give back to our community and be involved in the future of our field /community.
Many of the personnel in the association are working to support our military operations to improve our capabilities and facilitate our missions. It is rewarding to interact with those who are working to improve things for our military on the modern battlefields.
2017 Young AFCEAN
AFCEAN Annual Holiday Celebration Luncheon